Mar 7, 2010

Bus Guy #1: Superstar Cellphone Salesman



So after that blind date, there were times throughout the rest of high school and college that friends tried to set me up with various guys. Not quite blind dates, but "meetings" in groups of friends, I guess you can say. Thankfully nothing was ever as horrific as the Denny's dud.

Moving on though...
Since this week is pretty hectic with work and I don't anticipate any major developments OR returns to the library, I'll share some of the nuggets of joy from my first several months in Los Angeles.

Today's story...Bus Guy: Superstar Cellphone Salesman


THE SCENARIO:

It was my third week in L.A. and I was taking the bus on a Friday afternoon to work. The bus I took at that hour, as usual, was pretty packed so I went and sat in the last seat in the back. All of a sudden I notice some commotion to my side, but do not think anything of it.

Suddenly a man sits down beside me, after having asked two other men to switch seats with him.

Superstar Cellphone Salesman: "Türkçe biliyor musunuz?"

I lean over and politely ask..."Excuse me?"

SCS: "Türkçe biliyor musunuz?"

Me: "I'm sorry, I only speak English and Spanish. Lo siento, pero solamente hablo inglés y español."

Well, he continues to chat it up with me, and at first I don't mind because I'm not a person who purposefully tries to pretend nobody exists on the bus. He asks me where I'm from, what my ethnicity is (this will be a common theme), tells me how much I look like a Persian or Turkish girl. I tell him that I'm from the east coast, but just moved here. I ask him what he's doing here, and how long he has been here, and he tells me that he sells cellphones and came to L.A. a year ago.

It wasn't so bad until he asked me to take my sunglasses off...

SCS: "Oh your eyes seem so gorgeous! Can you take your sunglasses off so I can see them better?"

Now I was getting a bit creeped out. It was that kind of sweet compliment that is like how diet coke tastes (which I hate!). Fake, plasticky, too sweet and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

THE LINE:

As if the sunglasses/eyes comment wasnt' enough, he leans over, invading my space, flexes his eyebrow and tells me in his best sexy voice...
SCS: "You know, I am really a superstar from Turkey who is selling cellphones in L.A. as a way to hide from the paparazzi."

Oookay! That's wonderful, but you're still not getting into my pants!

Then he asked me if he could see me again. At this moment, I tell him I have a long-term boyfriend (which I did at the time...geez, I'm not that much of a bitch!), so no, we won't be seeing each other any time soon.
He responds and says something along the lines of:
"Oh, that is wonderful. Love is wonderful. I respect that."

However, he continues to ask me for my phone number, my email, my facebook page...anything! Ugh. The worst thing about it was that we both were getting off at the same stop, so I had to endure 30+ minutes of him breathing down my neck (only for those of you who don't live in L.A. that's about 3 miles on the bus).

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Even if you are famous, you can still be creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment